Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2012
in Emotional, How To, Relational, Social, Spiritual, Values
William Wilberforce — as mentioned yesterday — was a bold, but peculiar man, who changed the world.
William Wilberforce was also featured in the movie Amazing Grace. It’s a powerful film that reveals the tension that Wilberforce faced in his personal and public life.
People who step forward or step “out of line” face that tension.
– Teens who stand up against bullies are often threatened themselves.
– Entrepreneurs who market boldly are often ostracized by their competition.
– Excited parents are glared at when they cheer for their daughter or son at sporting events.
– Weather forecasters are often derided when their forecasts are mistaken.
– Fans who cheer too loudly at sporting events can be shouted down.
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2012
in Emotional, Relational, Social, Spiritual, Values
I’m fascinated by people.
As often as people seem to fall into common patterns, their preferences can be incredibly diverse.
Do we like diversity? Is Paula Abdul right, and Opposites Attract?
The journal Evolutionary Psychology, asked 760 members of an online dating site if they would prefer someone like them or if they would like someone different than them. 85.7% of participants claim to want someone who has their opposite traits.
Then they were asked if they most wanted a partner that complemented them, or resembled them.