Posted on Thursday, October 6, 2011
in Emotional, How To, Relational, Social, Spiritual, Values
In this series on shame we had some fun with it, defined it, and practically explained how culturally bound and complicated shame-filled groups can become.
Q – Why Do We Still Choose Shame?
A – Shame “Solves Problems.”
If you are:
1. Are you angry? Smile.
2. Feeling afraid? Act tough.
3. Feeling hurt? Hide it.
4. Feeling like a mess? Cover it up.
5. Feeling weak? Tough it out.
6. Feeling worried? Don’t worry. Be happy.
7. Just got “caught’? Deny it.
It might seem like problem solving, but sublimating can easily become shaming.
Perseverance can become punishment.
Shame minimizes one’s true self, healthy communities promote genuineness.