Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2013
in Emotional, How To, Relational, Social, Spiritual, Values
For some people the number 13 is synonymous with bad luck and
13 makes them pause, hesitate, and even back away.
It’s considered unlucky to have:
– 13 guests at a dinner party
– a 13th floor in a building
– a wedding on the 13th of the month
– or to buy a house on the 13th of the month
Some people afflicted with Triskaidekaphobia — the fear of the number 13 — are more than leery in a superstitious way, they have a phobic fear of the number 13
– They might not buy a house with a 13 in the address
– They might not buy a car fabricated on the 13th
– They might not drive a car on the 13th
– They might not leave their home on the 13th
For those of you who may be two weeks into 2013 and feeling a little leery of the 13 in 2013 I have a few thoughts about the power of 13.
13 coils are used in a hangman’s knot
13 were present at the meal when Judas betrayed Jesus and the eleven other disciples.
– There are 13 stripes on the American flag.
– There were 13 original colonies that formed the United States.
– The 13th amendment to the constitution freed the slaves.
Personally, I like 13 because…
– My wife Amy was born on the 13th
– We started dating on the 13th
– We got engaged on the 13th
– We got married on the 13th
– On our 13th anniversary we took a trip to Belize
– We celebrate — our dating anniversary — each month on the 13th
Today is our 325th 13th.
– 13ths have never been lucky for us
– Nor have 13ths ever been unlucky for us.
They are special days because we chose to make them special.
You too can choose this year — 2013 and contains a dozen monthly 13s — as a special opportunity:
– To retrace your steps to identify the origin of your fears
– To choose to take back ground given up to fear
– To get help with any insecurities, superstitions, fears & phobias
– To embrace the God who has power of over all those challenges
Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?
“And why worry…if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you…Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need…So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today.” 1
If you want more information about embracing God, please email me at
my silent scream for scott @ gmail. com (remove the spaces)
1 – Matthew 6:27-34, NLT
Note – My thanks to my friend Sheri for the idea to write about “13.” Thanks Sheri!