Posted on Friday, July 4, 2014 in Uncategorized
Today is Independence Day.
Could This Be Your Independence Day?
Excursus: This day is special for another reason, it’s Amy & Phil Hatcher’s wedding anniversary. Congrats you two!
Independence is on my mind.
Independence for you. Independence for me.
True independence. As my friend Jenny Dwyer said, is “Nothing missing. Nothing broken.”
My prayers are for you who, like me, need some more independence from our baggage:
– My friends who are trapped in their time-wasters.
– My friends who are caught in the trap of coping by cutting.
– My friends who are ambushed by betrayal and the fear of trust that follows
– My friends who are enticed by stuff and can’t help but believe stuff = happiness.
– My friends who are intrigued by ignorance and think “I’m better off not knowing”.
– My friends who are caught in the booby-trap of porn [pun intended].
– My friends who are ensnared in the pit of self-pity.
– My friends who are tricked into relationship-quicksand by well-intentioned fools.
– My friends who are snagged by sadness that refuses to heal.
– My friends who are tempted to take their lives.
– My friends who are seduced by the thoughts of cheating on their spouse.
– My friends who are fascinated by fantasy when reality is where they can live out their dreams.
My prayers are that you and I might experience more genuine independence!
“Come to me, all of you who are tired and have heavy loads, and I will give you rest,” said Jesus Christ. He added, “Accept my teachings and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble in spirit, and you will find rest for your lives.” Everyone has expectations, but Jesus assured, “The burden that I ask you to accept is easy; the load I give you to carry is light.” 1
As my friend Ash SanFilippo said yesterday, “The bigger the burden the more Jesus is willing to carry (for you).”
“Please God help us…” that is #mysilentscream.
1 – Matthew 11:28-30, NCV